Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The one time I went to Brooklyn

Yesterday was our Superintendent's conference day at school. The last two years at the school where I previously worked, we went in and did work on our finals or worked on websites. At my new school, I assumed I would be doing the same thing. Nope, totally different.

My chairperson wanted us to attend the AP college board conference for either Spanish or Italian (the only ones the kids take in my school even though we also offer French). I took a look at the link he sent us and laughed because I figured there was no way the district would approve it at $185 a PERSON. Well, sure enough they did. We had to lay the money out at first but they reimburse us for it.

Let's just say I was super happy to get home yesterday. I woke up at 4:30 because I was afraid I would oversleep for my train at 6:39. I took the train by myself and met up with everyone around the corner from the school. It was about a 15 minute walk from the Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn to the school.

The conference was definitely different than I expected. It was 6 hours of STRAIGHT LECTURE....all in Spanish. A lot of the other teachers teach or have taught it from other schools but only one teacher in my district teaches it. It was definitely interesting as someone who TOOK the test 10 years ago to be able to see how they make up the curriculum that is on the test. And how they score the tests. I liked seeing the different levels of writing. However, my attention span was weaning by the end of the day. You know its bad when even your chair looked like he was losing focus.

It was a long day for all of us but it was definitely interesting. However, I came home to plan and get ready for today. I feel like I NEVER stop working. I guess that is suppose to be how I feel my first year of teaching,. A lot of creating materials and then the power points. Next year it will be easy!

I need to make sure all my lessons are well planned because I have a feeling my chair will be popping in soon to do an observation. He has been trying since the beginning of October and when he did it two weeks ago, I was giving a test. Whoops.

One of these days I hope to have a more interesting life other than school. However, I bought this last week at Target and I am OBSESSED. Now my only complaint is WHY WHY WHY is she not doing a show in New York?! Especially with a song Welcome to NY! My friend Shannon and I plan on going to Pittsburgh because that is the closest (other than Philadelphia but we want to try a new city)! Maybe she will add a new one like she did last time.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Taylor's new CD and am obsessed as well. And 6 hours of Spanish?! Wow I give you props for your patience! ;)

    ReplyDelete