Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Feliz Navidad!

I can hardly believe that it is Christmas! WHAT?! Where on Earth has 2013 gone? It seems like yesterday it was just starting. As I sit here tonight, admist a marathon wrapping session, I think of how grateful I am for what I have been blessed with.

I love the holidays and decorating. I told my mom that I want to inherit all her ornaments one day. To me, that feels so "homey" and I like it better than a tree with ornaments of all one color. Sometimes, I wish the rest of my family was more into it. I kept telling my mom I felt like she was the Grinch this year because she didn't have the holiday spirit.

To me, it's not about WHAT you get or HOW MUCH you get. I don't need 100 gifts. I don't need 50. It's not about the money behind the gift. Truly, it is the thought that counts. Last year my niece Sara took her own money and bought me a purse keychain at her school fair because she knew my purse addiction (I have taught her well). It eventually broke but that meant so much to me.

I am grateful for a home to live in that has heat and is beautifully decorated. I am thankful especially because Saturday or Sunday, we received an email that one of our guidance counselors at school lost her home due to a fire and it is unliveable. They lost their Christmas gifts. It broke my heart. I hope many people contributed to the fund for them to give them a somewhat enjoyable holiday.

My school had a Stuff-A-School program where we did various donations (jean drive, coat drive, hats/gloves/scarves drive, food drive, Adopt a Platoon, the Giving tree for needy families, book drive, etc). On Friday my boss called me down to help for 3 periods to organize stuff. I had done 3 separate tags off the giving tree...one was a little 3 year old girl who needed clothes, a coat for a 7 year old girl and princess toys for a 5 year old girl. I may be in debt because of school but I have made decent money the past few weekends serving so I wanted to spread some joy to others.

I was spoiled by my mom and brothers so far. I am going to my brother's house to exchange with them and then off to my Aunt & Uncle's later. I hope everyone has a beautiful holiday with loved ones & friends. Merry Christmas!

And as Eddie would say in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation:

1 comment: