Sunday, July 29, 2012

{Sunday Social - Week 8}






Link up with Neely & Ashley for this week's Sunday Social!


1. What is your dream job?
Seriously -- being a PRINCESS! Ha ha! Who wouldn't want to be a ruler and all pretty? Or a celebrity?! I would love to work in the film industry and be as rich as Jennifer Aniston or Sandra Bullock.

In reality -- my dream job is being a middle school Spanish teacher. I love working with children and worked as a camp counselor one summer. It was my middle school Spanish teacher who inspired me to become a teacher, specifically for languages because it was my best subject in school! I always joked when she retired, I wanted to take over her job....and she did this year! I wish I could have had it.





2. If you had just won the lottery and didn't need to work for money, what would you do with your time?
I would volunteer helping out the less fortunate. I have always been told I have a kind soul and I am very generous. I always like to donate to St. Judes Children's hospital so I would probably go work there.


3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a pediatrician. When my guidance counselor asked me what I wanted to be in 6th grade, I said a pediatrician and he told me I was too stupid. Real nice!! I think I wanted to be a pediatrician because I loved working with kids and wanted to help them out. I think I always knew I wanted to work with kids in some aspect. Anything business related seemed boring to me. I am in the field I am now thanks to my middle school Spanish teacher, Mrs. Reith. I can only hope I can inspire at least one future student of mine!

4. What piece of career advice would you give to someone just starting out in your field?
 My field is education so honestly, you have to learn which advice to follow and take. But, advice I would give to people starting in the education field are:
~DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! If you write up a student, call a parent, etc. One of my cooperating teachers had a notebook that she wrote all this in and it is always a great tool to have as a backpack.
~If you're student teaching and a teacher offers you any papers/lessons/gifts, TAKE THEM! You never know when you may need it or might be able to tweek something into your own lesson.
~Think outside of the box! Sometimes, it is hard to do as a teacher but you want to make lessons fun for your students!
~Realize that sometimes the lesson won't go the way you plan and that you have to take it with a grain of salt as a learning experience.
~Celebrate successes, learn from failures.
~Keep Calm and Pretend it is on the lesson plan. ;)
~STAY ORGANIZED!!! As a teacher, is is imperative to be organized. It always drove me nuts when I was in school and the teacher's desk was in disarray.

5. Biggest pet peeves either in life or in blogging or at work:
Life:
~people who can't flush the toilet! is it really THAT hard?!
~People who litter
~People who can't park and park in TWO parking spaces (I took this while grocery shopping one day):

~When people don't replace the toilet paper roll

Another one of my big pet peeves is people who think teachers are paid too much. I think that is absurd! We are educating the future of America. The doctor you have is thanks to someone who educated that person. The lawyer that defends you is because someone taught that child. Many teachers actually spend money out of their own POCKETS for classroom supplies because they can't get it from districts because of cuts. And they think you have the summer off and don't do anything...umm, hello professional development! 

6. Biggest Fears:
One of my biggest fears is I won't be able to have my own children. I would love to adopt down the road AFTER I have my own kids but I have read so many blogs of people who had trouble to conceive...I will be heartbroken if I have extreme difficulty when I am ready to start a family

Never being able to find a teaching job!

Having to bury a child...I would never want to feel this pain.

2 comments:

  1. I'm like $75 in this summer on school supplies and it'll be another $100 before school starts. And that's after I have most of what I need because I've been teaching for 2 years. And my summer is over tomorrow when I go in to start setting things up. 3 months? Yeah, right.
    I hope you find a job soon (you can have mine when we leave Alaska next year!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true to document any incident where you have to discipline a student or contact parents- my cooperating teacher shared that with me also! It nice to learn those things you don't learn in your college classroom during student teaching.

    ReplyDelete