Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

I honestly sometimes cannot stand people who whine. Granted, we are all guilty of doing it at one point or another. But it can get annoying after awhile.

But then again, this is my blog and I am just so frustrated I need to "whine"....or rather vent.

I have been out of college for three years. Wow, that just makes me sick to think about. I had gone to school the entire time with the intention of graduating with a degree in secondary education/spanish and my french minor. I had picked my school because I envisioned myself on campus for four years. It was perfect. Fast forward to my methods class fall semester senior year (one semester before I am suppose to student teach) and my professor/advisor tells us we have to take a departmental assessment test that covers grammar, literary analysis and cultural analysis plus a $150 oral proficiency interview over the phone in order to student teach. You had to get an 84 or better on each of the three parts of the assessment test and advanced low on the oral proficiency interview.

So, why did they tell us this the semester BEFORE we are to student teach? Can I just say my major was the only major in the school of education that was required to take a test and pass it in order to student teach? NOT FAIR. Plus, it's basically a free for all on the departmental assessment test. I took it with everyone in my program and two people passed. I was pissed. I had to decide if I wanted to take another semester of nonsense classes (my school required 120 credits to graduate and I had 119!) and stay and take the test again or drop it all together. I gave it another try and studied for months! Unfortunately, it did not work....I got the same level again on the OPI (just a SMIDGE under where I had to be) and missed passing 2 sections of the assessment test by 16 points. My advisor was basically no help and told me "I can't help you because classes are over." REALLY!

I spent a lot of time crying because I felt so defeated. My friends felt so bad for me. In the end, I decided to drop my education major (I only had student teaching left) and just graduate with a Spanish major and French minor. They wouldn't even let me walk with my friends at graduation which was killer. I refused to not celebrate my graduation with my friends even if they wouldnt let me walk til a year later.

In the end, I took a semester off from school to figure out where I wanted to go for grad school. I was going to live at home. I ended up going to a school that is 10 minutes from my house. It was one of my three options (that, a state school, and then another private school about 45mins-1 hr away). I got my education degree in 1.5 years. Last May, I graduated. And now I am on to the task of finding a job.

I have applied for so many teaching jobs and I feel like I am never going to get a job. This is where the whining comes in. I have so much money to pay back in my student loans. Between paying my mom rent every month (I had to listen to a speech last night that I didnt pay May but I did with all the crap I charged when I went shopping here and there for her) and the gas prices in NY, I don't think I will ever get out on top! I am seriously considering relocating if I cannot find a job. I just want to be able to use my degree!

Here's to hoping that I will find my dream job...sooner or later. Preferably sooner!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! How ridiculous! Two of my teacher friends have gone out of state to Arizona & Virginia. Relocating might be a good option. I bet a lot of the southern states would love your Spanish experience... I'll definitely be praying you find your dream job soon!

    Your Newest Follower,
    Claire

    Live, Laugh, Love, Teach

    ReplyDelete