Monday, February 27, 2012

26 years ago...

Today is the day that my mother lost her companion, her partner in life. 26 years ago, she became a widow with four children and one on the way (that she had no idea about at the time...that would be me!). She suddenly was met with the challenge of raising 5 kids all on her own (one of whom has a disability). Simply because my dad died in a car accident.

My dad died 26 years ago and I am 25. Therefore, I never met him. My mom had no idea that she was expecting another kid when he passed away. She did not find out until sometime after the funeral, so it was quite a shock to her. Many people told her she did not need another child since her hands were going to be full. What did they know? Obviously she did not listen to them because I am here. :)

I have always felt robbed in life that I grew up without a father. It's not like there was abandonment but I just wished I had grown up with one. I guess you could say I was the daughter he always wanted. Infact, Kristin was the name he wanted for a girl the 2nd time my mom got pregnant. I love my name. And even though I never met my father, everyone in my family tells me that I have some of his features and characteristics. I have had people tell me that I look like my mom but she says I look like my dad. My mom tells me all the time I inherited my father's intelligence and his organizational skills.

Sometimes, I wonder what life would have been like with him here. I just know he is up in heaven, smiling down on everyone and would be so proud of the accomplishments my brothers and I have made. Rest easy, Daddy. Forever in my heart, even if we never met.


Quite possibly my favorite picture I have ever seen of my father.

5 comments:

  1. what a touching post! Your mom is a strong lady to have raised so many children on her own, and I'm sorry you never had a chance to know your father. What a wonderful picture of him though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what it's like being raised without a father, but know what it's like losing one, it never seems fair, I'm sorry you never met your father. Your mother is a strong women for caring for 5 children alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mama sounds like an amazing, strong woman! I cannot imagine raising 5 kids and being a widow so suddenly. What a beautiful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Chills. I want to hug you and your mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This almost made me cry, and you wrote out your story so beautifully.
    I personally LOVE your name, so your dad had good taste :)

    ReplyDelete