Sunday, May 22, 2011

Graduation!

Yesterday, I had my graduation for my Master's Program! I'm the second in my family to complete their Master's degree. Oddly enough, the two that have are both teachers (my brother, who teaches 5th grade and myself). Most of my friends say they won't walk at their graduations from grad school. I chose to do mine because I was "robbed" of walking with my friends from undergrad on time. And that hurt.

But the day was great! It was a little chilly at first. Mid-way through the ceremony, the sky opened up and the sun was shining! I was not pleased with the commencement speaker. The undergraduates had Bill Evans, the news reporter! We got some lady, Karen Something (I don't remember her last name) who invented a "Lady in Red Perfume." Her whole speech sounded like a persuasive advertisement to buy her perfume. And midway through her speech, she announces that she has to drink water. All of the kids around me were making fun of it. I honestly got bored I started playing a game on my phone. Haha. After getting "hooded" and walking across the stage, I have to say....it felt like a HUGE weight was lifted off my shoulders. I completed a major accomplishment and felt darn proud of myself!

Here are some pictures from the lovely event:


Pedro & I before the festivities started
{We both went to New Paltz, our undergrad school, together and then met up again at Dowling one day in the bookstore...the campus is TINY. We both did our part-time student teaching together in the same school last fall and basically became really good friends this semester!}

Beth & I
{I met Beth during my first class at Dowling and every semester after that, we had at least one class together! She's a great friend and I love that she also speaks Portuguese}


My brother Eric, Me, My mom and my brother Mark [the other teacher]
{Glad some of my siblings could come see it! Mark is already looking for jobs for me since he knows my mom does not want me to move out of NYS!}

John & I

ALL DONE!!!!
{This is the best picture/most ridiculous picture of me.}

Tomorrow, I start my summer school classes. Let's face it, as a teacher, I'll be in school the rest of my life until I retire, haha. My program certifies me to teach grades 5-12 Spanish. The title of the program was "Adolescence Education with a Middle Childhood Extension." The extension is the grades 5&6 because most programs certify you to teach 7-12. A lot of the classes had some sort of special education title tied in. Because of the program I did, I only need four more classes to take in order to be able to apply to New York State for an extension for my special education certification. So, I figured....why not?! I'm taking two classes this summer session because my school is offering one "Take one class, get one 50% off!" and then two in the fall. Should be fun!

And now I'm going to go back to crying...I mean watching...."Coming Home" on Lifetime. Seriously, every time I watch it, I bawl my eyes out! Thank you to anyone who has ever served or is currently serving for our country. :)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's such a big accomplishment! Sort of a bummer that you have to go right back though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! I am so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete