Sunday, March 13, 2011

One of these days...

One of these days I will go to bed early. One. I swear. But with the insanity that I possess, clearly I am smart is staying up late to do homework (aka lesson plans). Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I got a large cup of coffee from 7-11 on my way home from work because I knew I had to finish my lesson plans, despite how tired I was. Haha. Well, the sacrifices we have to make.

I have two weeks left in this student teaching placement. Holy COW. I am happy and yet sad at the same time. Happy because I am ready for a change. Happy because I'm excited to work in the classroom with my brother's friend! Sad because I've grown attached to these kids. One of them blatantly blurted out Thursday or Friday that she wasn't happy I was leaving because her regular teacher was "boring." And of course the entire class laughs at that. I had to chuckle but at the same time told her that it wasn't nice to say that. These kids have shown me the effort and creativity you need to teach in a middle school. You also need to be able to relate to them on their own level and be personable and not so stiff. I have been told that through observations and tried to make myself more "showy" because in reality, teaching is putting on a show! 5 periods of kids to entertain for 40 minutes with boring content (sometimes) to make sure you teach to standards/the test.

Tomorrow's lessons are going to be somewhat boring. Oh well. I think if I continue on with the content anymore I'll have pencils thrown at my head soon, haha! I'm starting to notice how BORED some of the kids look. I always disliked when teachers gave a quiz or test on a Monday. Who really wants to do homework on the weekend? So their "paso 3" quizzes will be on Tuesday (mini review on Monday) and then the tests on Thursday. That'll make for a lot of grading this week. Es la vida!

My best friend April is home for her spring break and I hope to see her!

This past weekend was just ful-filled with work. I am working the next two weekends and then the weekend of April 1st, my friends and I are going to visit our alma matter (god I feel old saying that!), New Paltz! So excited!! I'm in a desperate need of a break.

Further excitement is that my plane ticket to Georgia has officially been booked! It was way more than I wish I had to pay. Basically, because of the price of gas/fuel/oil, I think thats why I had to pay so much. Whatever. By the time I go, it'll be paid off. At least I don't have to stay in a hotel and pay for that too, haha!

I also need to schedule myself a hair cut. Even though it does not look it, it feels super long! I am also looking forward to getting myself a copy of Jodi Picoult's new book! I am a HUGE fan of her's! I discovered her books when I had a layover in Madrid coming home from studying abroad and needed to spend my extra euros. I bought "Nineteen Minutes" and read a good chunk on the plane because it was that good. Last year when her book "House Rules" came out, I finished it in three or four days....couldn't put it down! However, I think it is ridiculous to charge $28 for a hardcover book! Here's to hoping Costco has it cheaper when I go there this week with Mom. :)

Okay, now that I took a break from my lessons, time to finish the 8th grade's! I even had to write out a writing composition task for the 7th grade benchmark exam that they get soon. The department chairperson gave it as the responsibility to the 7th grade student teachers. My friend and I divided it up on Friday so hopefully the other girl will do her portion (there's three of us total.).

No comments:

Post a Comment